Ruth Moyer Elementary
3rd Grade Policies
Students will receive letter grades each quarter. Below is the reporting scale used:
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
U = Below 59
Students will receive Work Habits and Social Skills
E- Excellent. Skill level is above the standard expected at this time of year.
M- Meets the expectation. Skill level is met at this time of year.
D- Developing. Skill level is developing at this time of year.
AC- Area of concern. Skill level is well below the standard expected at this time of year.
N/A- Not addressed. Skill was not addressed during this period.
There are four quarters in the school year. For each quarter you will receive a progress report and a report card.
Progress Reports/Report Cards Dates
Friday, September 21-Quarter 1 Progress Reports
Wednesday, October 24-Quarter 1 Report Cards Sent Home
Monday, November 5 & Thursday, November 8-Parent-Teacher Conferences
Tuesday, November 20- Quarter 2 Progress Reports
Wednesday, January 9- Quarter 2 Report Cards Sent Home
Monday, February 11-Quarter 3 Progress Reports
Wednesday, March 20-Quarter 3 Report Cards Sent Home
Friday, April 26--Quarter 4 Progress Reports
Pick up Quarter 4 Report Cards after school is released for summer break
- Assignment Notebook: Each day students will record all of their assignments in their assignment notebook. The students should copy the assignments the same way the teacher has written them on the board. The teacher will sign her initials in the planner at the end of the day. This way the students, parents, and teachers all understand the assignment expectations.
- Monthly Reading Log: Every month students will receive a reading log. The reading log should stay in the homework binder. Students will read an AR book for at least 20 minutes every night. Students should record the title of the book they read, how long they read, and parents should sign that the student has read in the parent signature area of the reading log. This will be a 100 point reading grade. Students will earn extra credit stars if they read on the weekend.
- Accelerated Reader: Your child will be required to earn 25 Accelerated Reader points each quarter. This will be one of many grades in reading.
- Monthly Math Log: Every month students will receive a math log. The math log should stay in the homework binder. Students should practice their math facts for at least 5 minutes every night. Students should record what facts they practiced, how long they practiced, and parents should sign that the student has practiced their math facts in the parent signature area of the math log. Students will earn extra credit stars if they read on the weekend.
- Fast Fact Friday: On Fridays the students will be given 25 math problems and they will be given 1 minute to answer as many problems as they can. To prepare, students should practice their math facts and complete their math log.
- Homework: Inside the homework binder there will be homework pages for the night. Most nights students will complete an Everyday Math Home Link and a cursive handwriting page. On Wednesdays they will have Language Lab as well.
- Spelling Lists: Students will take a spelling pretest on Monday. The students will get a list of the words that will go inside their binder. The students should study the words through the week. Spelling Tests will be on Fridays. If students do not miss any words, they will receive a super speller list.
- Fliers, notes from school, etc.: Any notes from school, graded work, or other papers that stay at home will go in the back pocket of the binder. In the front folder of the binder, you may put any papers that need to be returned to school.
We will use Class Dojo to encourage important skills, like working hard, participating, and being a good friend. We may also use class dojo to communicate with you and share updates from class. It will be a tool you can use to see how your child is doing at school. Please sign up for Class Dojo. You can use it on any device: it is a simple, free mobile app for iOS and Android, and can also be used from a computer at: www.classdojo.com.
Students can earn Mustang Money from any adult throughout the day when they go above and beyond with their Mustang Manners. They can also earn Mustang Money from Class DoJo points. A few student names from each grade will be drawn on Fridays.
Students are expected to complete their classroom assignments and homework assignments. If students fail to complete either classroom or homework assignments (including the reading log) they will need to complete them at recess. Students will use their assignment notebooks as a daily record of assignments. Please make sure to check your child’s assignment notebook to keep them prepared for class. We also expect the students to come to class prepared.
Students are expected to assume responsibility of their iPads at home and at school. iPads will be used in a variety of ways at school as well as at home, so students should bring their iPad to school each day, and home each night unless otherwise directed. Please be sure to have students charge their iPads each night so they can participate in all activities. Students are to follow the Digital Citizenship while a school and at home. Be sure to monitor student’s use of their iPads.
Students will be assigned a classroom job approximately every other week.
We hope that students can make it to school everyday. If a student misses school we can send the make-up work with a classmate, sibling, neighbor, or send it to the office to be picked up. All missed work is expected to be turned in completed. If you are out with a planned absence, work will be available upon your arrival back and expected to be completed.
Birthday Treats and Class Treats
You are welcome, but NOT required, to send birthday treats. We have 20 students in our class. Children who have a summer birthday will celebrate at the end of the school year. No edible snacks are permitted. Students may bring in items such as pencils, erasers, or stickers.
How to Contact Me
The easiest way to reach me is by email. My school email address is email@example.com You can also contact me by note, writing a note in your child’s assignment notebook, or phone at 859-815-2333.
Please follow our class on Twitter @Katiem510
I love getting to work with your child. Let’s make it a fantastic year!