(July 24, 2020) Highlands High School FCCLA members have been busy despite the changes to conferences and competitions. The Kentucky Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) State Leadership Conference was cancelled in March. Several of the components of the meeting were held virtually including the election of the 2020-2021 Kentucky State Officers, STAR Events recognition and the business session. Highlands High School was recognized as a National Community Service Award Applicant, a chapter of distinction for donating more than $100 to the state scholarship fund and a Gold Level Honor Roll Chapter.
The following members from the high school chapter were recognized for placing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the state STAR Events:
- Chapter in Review, Portfolio, Level 2 – 2nd Place: Ava Torrano and Kayleigh Nicolaus
- Chapter Service Project, Portfolio, Level 2 – 1st Place: Ashley Coulter, Kathleen Price and Addy Wagner
- Event Management, Level 2 – 3rd Place: Katie Deshler
- Promote and Publicize, Level 3 – 1st Place: Sydney Schenk
- Sustainability Challenge, Level 3 – 2nd Place: Bree Mohr, Casey Race and Megan Stevens
The following members from the middle school chapter were also recognized as state winners:
- Food Innovations, Level 1 – 2nd Place: Katie Thurnauer, Caroline Thaler and Sophia Scherrer
- Repurpose & Redesign, Level 1 – 2nd Place: Mayson Gindele, Meredith Dadosky and Emma Stevens
For the first time in Highlands High School history, an FCCLA member has been elected as a Kentucky State FCCLA Officer. Ashley Coulter, junior, will serve as the 2020-2021 Vice President of Community Service. Ashley worked hard all year to prepare for the application and interview process that included an onstage presentation, a brunch and an interview, all virtually. Ashley will coordinate the state community service project this year, Rae of Sunshine. Ashley is an amazing member and will represent Highlands High School and the Highlands FCCLA Chapter with poise and dedication.
The Region 7 FCCLA Meeting was cancelled and regional officer applications and interviews were held virtually as well. The following Highlands FCCLA members will be serving as Region 7 Officers for the 2020-2021 year:
- Addy Wagner – President
- Katie Deshler – Vice President of Membership
- Cecilia Wira – Vice President of Public Relations
For the first time since Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) was founded in 1945, members competed in Students Taking Action with Recognition (STAR) Events on the national level virtually. Nearly 3,000 FCCLA members from across the country participated in STAR Events this past June. The virtual conference was held July 7-10, 2020, and was a wonderful experience for all members involved. Ashley Coulter, Kentucky State Vice President for Community Service served on the Kentucky State Voting Delegate team. Two Kentucky members were elected as National FCCLA Officers to serve on a team of 10 for the 2020-2021 term.
The results from National FCCLA STAR Events:
Highlands High School FCCLA
- Gold – Chapter Service Project: Ashley Coulter, Kathleen Price and Addy Wagner (4th in nation)
- Gold – Promote & Publicize FCCLA: Syndey Schenk (11th in nation)
- Gold – Sustainability Challenge: Bree Mohr, Casey Race and Megan Stevens (11th in nation)
- Silver – Chapter in Review: Kayleigh Nicolaus and Ava Torrano
Highlands Middle School FCCLA
- Gold – Food Innovations: Katie Thurnauer, Caroline Thaler and Sophia Scherrer
- Silver – Repurpose and Redesign: Mayson Gindele, Meredith Dadosky and Emma Stevens
Highlands FCCLA Chapter elected chapter officers virtually in May and they will begin planning for the upcoming school year virtually this August.
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America is a dynamic and effective national student organization that helps young men and women become leaders and address important personal, family, work, and societal issues through Family and Consumer Sciences education. FCCLA has more than 182,000 members and 5,253 chapters from 48 state associations, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.